Monday, December 13, 2010

40 Years ago

It is eerie how history is repeating itself. My mom dealt with infertility caused by endometriosis. I always knew this, and I always knew that the fact she got pregnant with me was pretty miraculous. But now as I am facing the same diagnosis, the magnitude of this is hitting much closer to home.

40 years ago, almost to the month, my mom ended up in the hospital with severe pain. She was diagnosed with endometriosis and told to get pregnant sooner versus later. She was 21 and newly married.

Years went by and they were never able to get pregnant. They decided to adopt and 5 years after her diagnosis they adopted my older sister as an infant. 4 more years passed and they looked forward to adopting again soon as they were nearing the top of the wait list.

My dad ended up in the ER after breaking his ankle at a party. As the story goes, my mom had been throwing up, assumed she had the flu. My dad's nurse convinced her to take a pregnancy test. They got the call the next day that it was positive, and my mom had even forgotten about the test. She had been living with endo for almost 10 years at this point. And never in all that time did she get pregnant. I had always found meaning in this story, I grew up not taking being able to get pregnant for granted because I knew from an early age the grief and joy my parents experienced as they grew their family. But the reality of just how long they waited is hitting close to home. I know all about waiting. The nearly a decade that they were unsuccessful in getting pregnant, and then out of now where she gets pregnant with me, has a healthy uneventful pregnancy and birth. This boggles my mind.

I snuck into this world. There is no rhyme or reason why I am here. I defy all research and statistics.

Hoping our child some day knows the depth of the miracle that he/she too will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment