Saturday, February 26, 2011

U/S Dillema: Advice Needed

My clinic's standard protocol is to do the first u/s at 7 weeks. On my IVF calendar it says if you get pregnant to schedule the u/s at 7 weeks. And my nurse gave me those instructions too on the phone when she called with my doubling HCG. But when she transferred me to the receptionist, the receptionist asked me what day I wanted to u/s and left it wide open to pick any day. So of course, as a RPLer I picked a date EARLIER than 7 weeks.

But this is my dilemma: When do I want my first u/s? And will my clinic care when I show up on my u/s and they realize it is earlier than 7 weeks?

I scheduled it for 6 weeks 3 days. (Help me with my math: If my ER was on 2/8 and my u/s is scheduled for 3/11, that is 6 wks 3 days, yes?)

I scheduled it early for several reasons:
With a history of two blighted ovums, the thought of waiting all the way until 7 weeks is torture. Also, because of the weekend, my options, if I wanted it early, were having it on 6wk3days or 6wk6days (I didn't even consider earlier than 6wk3days). And I like the idea of knowing something before the weekend.

The down side is of course what if it too early to see a heartbeat. Having had two miscarriages in which we never even saw a fetal pole, my head tells me that I would find some comfort at least in seeing a fetal pole measuring on track even if the hb isn't visible yet. And if it is another blighted ovum (ugg, that is hard to even fathom) well at 6wk3days we see another empty sac and we'd know our fate, especially given there is no question of when conception occurred (unlike my other 2 natural cycles). But I could always suck it up and wait until 6wk6days and I'd have a more definite answer. But then the other side of me argues that I have seen plenty of people see a heartbeat early into 6wks and so 6wk3day shouldn't be too early.

And then the side of me that is a rule follower feels deceptive having scheduled so early when the instructions were to come in at 7wks. But the other side of me says screw rules, this has been a tough road and I should be able to ask for what I want and need. But is an earlier u/s what I want?

GRrrrrr- and I end up just going round and round in my head like that.

Right now I am scheduled for 3/11 at 6wk3day. I need to decide if I should reschedule it after the weekend and push it out to 6wk6days (or, gulp, even later).



  1. This is so difficult and everything that you've said makes perfect sense. You're going into it knowing the potentional ambiguity that 6w3d can bring but it sounds like you think this is best for you. Why not stick to it for now and see how you feel?

  2. Hey, congrats on the doubling. I know how hard it is to wait, but try to think of it in terms of "just" four days. I get wanting to know before the weekend, but if the view is indeterminate just before the weekend, that will give you a weekend of chaotic thoughts and uncertainty. If you wait until 7 weeks, at least it will be a more peaceful uncertainty, if you will. And you'll be pretty sure of having certain answer when you do go. During my second pregnancy, my obg recommended waiting until 7 weeks and i'm glad i did. seeing that strong hb was the best thing i have ever experienced. And if there hadn't been a hb, at least I could have moved on instead of being stuck in a cycle of repeat dr visits and distracted beyond being able to work, function, etc. wondering what was going to happen. I find as I progress through my fertility struggles that the less I think about it, the better. At first it felt like I was abandoning my journey, like I wasn't being vigilant enough. But sometimes it's healthy to just take a step back. And think of things in terms of "why am I obsessing over 4 days?" I'd say, live your life, go on the 6w6d or 7w date. You'll get a more complete answer. There's a reason obg's recommend 7w. I know how it feels to think you deserve a break and that you deserve to bend the rules, and you most definitely do. But I really think this is not the battle you should pick. If it were me I would wait.

  3. At 6and3 you should be able to see a heartbeat. I would keep what you have. If you don't see a heartbeat for some reason I'm sure they will sch you for another u/s the next week. Don't worry! Can't wait to hear how many!

  4. You should see a hb or at least a yolk sac and fetal pole. I breathed a sigh of relief when they told me it was def. not blighted but still too early to see a HB at 5 weeks 3 days. So, that will give you some comfort.

  5. Mine was at 6w2d and, checking back on my U/S pics, looks like they measured a heartbeat. Staticky screen with 2 green lines going down across it and a FHR (fetal heart rate) of 107.4 bpm (beats per minute.) And then my clinic did another one a few weeks later, before sending me out into the wild... I mean to an OB.
    So your appointment should be fine, and if nothing else, you and they can see if it LOOKS normal for that stage. Unless your insurance has limits, they should be able to do another one soon after if you/they feel it's warranted!

  6. Personally I'd keep the appointment you have. It is true that you might not see a HB that early but you often can. And even if they don't you should be able to see if you are on track in terms of growth. Just keep in mind that you might not get another u/s until the 9 week mark when you transfer to the OB (if they do them) so you might end up with a longer wait then.

    Really there is no winning. There is always a wait somewhere.

  7. First of all, so happy about the news from your beta! That's wonderful!!
    I checked back on my pregnancy with Lily and saw that my first u/s was at 5 weeks. We saw only the sac, but it was looking normal for that stage. The second u/s was much better, and we saw the heartbeat (132 bpm) at 6w5d.
    I personally think you're ok to keep the appointment at 6w3d. I know it would be excruciating if you had to wait for the next u/s to see a heartbeat, but I hope that won't be the case.

    I just wanted to encourage you to hang in there! I know how very hard it is to live from one appointment to the next. Praying for more and more good news!

  8. Whichever way you decide, hope it goes well! And hope you can enjoy this time in between.

  9. Hi, I just found your blog through Stirrup Queen's blogroll, and I think you and I are in the same boat. (I've had two previous miscarriages, a year of unsuccessful IUI, a failed IVf, but this last FET has a positive beta that doubled.) In any case, my clinic's protocol is to have the u/s in 6.5 weeks. So I think you'll be just fine keeping the appointment you have. Sending positive thoughts your way!!